Burn Permit

Inside City Limits

If you reside within the city limits and are wanting to conduct any type of outdoor burning, then you must submit a City of Portland Burn Permit E-Form, or you can call the Portland Fire Department at 615-325-5649 to submit your information. You will then have permission to burn, weather dependent. The only materials that can be burned are small burn piles of leaves, limbs, and tree debris that are generated from the property on which they are burned. It is prohibited to burn any items that are petroleum based (i.e. but not limited to: plastics, shingles, tires, vinyl siding, carpet, and furniture). The use of gasoline, diesel fuel, oil(s), kerosene or other ignitable liquids to start or accelerate a fire is not permitted.

What you need to know:

  • Review the open burn ordinance. 
  • Complete the Burn Permit E-Form in the link below.
  • Keep a water source, such as a garden hose, close by.
  • If smoke is staying low and blowing into nearby residences, you will be asked to extinguish the fire and burn at a later date.
  • Remain at the burn site until the fire is out.
  • Have the house phone or a cell phone handy in case the fire gets out of control.
  • Portland Fire Department has the right to not allow burning for any day because of weather conditions or other factors.

Open Burn Ordinance (PDF)

City of Portland Burn Permit E-Form

Check Weather Conditions

Outside City Limits

Between October 15 and May 15, residents outside the city limits are required to have a burn permit from the Division of Forestry. The permit is free of charge. Click on the application link below. 

Apply online for a Forestry Burn Permit